I am a professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at Texas A&M University. My research is broadly in computational neuroscience, brain imaging and analysis, neuroevolution, and neural networks (deep learning). I am especially interested in the temporal aspects of brain function (delay, internal brain dynamics, prediction, consciousness), sensorimotor learning and grounding (visual, tactile, proprioceptive, semantics, meaning), agent-environment interaction (including tool construction and tool use), and evolution of brain structure and function. (old web site archive: 2001~2022) (old portraits)
- Books! Library books I borrowed in the past: Books.
- Moving articles from my facebook group to the Blog is now complete. Enjoy!
- My Ph.D. students Qinbo Li (Ph.D.#17) and Qing Wan (Ph.D.#18) recently defended! Congrats to both!
- News archive
- Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Texas A&M University, September 2014–Present
- Corporate Vice President, Samsung Research, July 2017–December 31, 2019
- Associate Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Texas A&M University, September 2007–August 2014
- Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science, Texas A&M University, September 2001–August 2007
- Member, Graduate Faculty, School of Graduate Studies, Texas A&M Health Science Center, June 2011–Present (CSCE students: do not count me as an external member of your M.S./Ph.D. committee)
- Director, Brain Networks Laboratory (at Texas A&M), September 2005-Present (Member: September 2001-2004).
- Intern, HNC Software Inc. Now FICO, San Diego, CA. Summer 1999.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, August 2001.
- M.A. in Computer Science, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, December 1995.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea, August 1993.
- Academic genealogy
- Address: 3112 TAMU, College Station, TX 77843-3112.
- Office: PETR 327
- Phone: 979-845-5466 (rarely used)
- email: email@example.com